Friday, December 16, 2005

Farewell

I'm not sure I have ever felt so Christmassy in my life.

(Well, it probably ties with the time we sang Rudolf-the-red-nosed Reindeer in Chapel Methodist with Lee doing the "like a lolipop" bit when I was 12).

But this Christmassy feeling has got a lot less to do with it being the final Christmas concert of a run of 16 and knowing that Miss Ellis will put away the carols until next August, and more to do with all the other non-singing related parts of Christmas.

"Teaching" has gradually disintegrated into "careful colouring" and watching Disney. One lesson I was supervising worksheets - teachers are off sick all over the place and school has become chaos, last minute activity planning means giving the photocopier a good workout.

One sheet asked them to find musical instruments in a word search and had pictures of the instruments at the bottom to give them clues. One child presented me with his sheet "Finished, Miss!". I had a quick scan, and pointed to the picture of the guitar.
"What's that, Derek?"
"A guitar, Miss."
"Well, do you think you should perhaps find that word as well?" I said, eyeing the letters GUITAR in the middle of the page with no pencil line around them.
"I have miss," said Derek,"there". He switfly points to the letters above where I am looking: GTAAA. How can you argue with such logic?


School is now out. It is time to look back at all my blogs and reflect on how far I've come. But not tonight. Tonight it is time to reflect on red or white. Or beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home