Friday, November 11, 2005

Social Life Memorial Service

Long time, no post.

Simple reason: Lesson planning.

On Monday we began our placement full-time.
On Sunday, my social life had it's official funeral. (I would have gone but I was too busy organising story-board boot camp in our flat; DRAW people, DRAW! think of the children sweet squirrels, spatulas, and small boys, just DRAW!)

It has been a busy week. Each day I get more immersed in children-world and the funny things they do are becoming so normal I hardly notice.

A couple of things did stand out though.

Scene: Maths lesson - learning to tell the time. My partner opens her lesson with a big interactive clock on a screen. She sets the big hand to twelve, and the little hand to twelve. She turns to the class and says;
"Right class, hands up - can anyone tell me what time the clock says?"
Lots of eager hands shoot up; "Yes, Angela?"
"Lunch-time, Miss!"

And proof I haven't yet become completely severed from real-world - I nearly failed to hold it together in assembly this morning when the opening bars of Kum-by-Yah filled the hall. "Someone's crying Lord" - sweet chickens; realio? trulio? little pet dragon? I thought it was mythological buffoonery; yet there I was, second assembly, Kum-by-Yah-ing away and trying to think of all the saddest things I could to stop myself from belly laughing in front of entire school and entourage of parents.

2 Comments:

At 9:13 am, Blogger Mum said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:16 am, Blogger Mum said...

Kum-ba-yah might be very sensible for some but little pet dragons are very suspect - especially the cowardy custard variety! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home