Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The things some kids say . . .

Today was my second adventure into the wonderful land of key stage one. The last time I was there, I think the whole country had a different name. They called us infants. It feels like a long time ago.

It is good to be back.


Although it hasn't felt that way all day. From the moment I got an acceptance letter saying that I could train to teach children, I've been thinking; "What, in sweet spatulas name, have I done?" The intensity of my panic's been crescendo-ing, reaching triple forte this morning when a shoal of curious faces peered at me and my placement partner, as the teacher introduced us (and we simultaneously waved goodbye to our first names; hadn't mentally prepared myself for that one! . . .)

But they were adorable. Top three moments of day one:

3. Using pencils to explain how 4 can be split up into 2 and 2 *Oh my God, I'm teaching! It's. actually. happening! Sweet grandmothers, spatulas, pencils and all!*. (also - how do primary teachers stay so thin when they talk about take-away so often? I kept finding my mind at the curry house. . . mmm curry)

2. "Miss, can you read?"
"Of course she can read, she's a mummy"
"Erm, actually I'm not a mummy"
*confusion*
"But you are married?"
"Nope, not married either."
"So you can't read then."
( . . . what do children think happens on wedding nights?)

1. "Miss, can you tell me what a hyena looks like? I've never been to Scotland, you see".

Bring On Day Two.

1 Comments:

At 9:25 pm, Blogger Richard said...

whats the deal with the spatula?
Glad you had a nice first day anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home